Montag, 16. Januar 2012

AMD 1

For this cultural assignment, I went back and watched a few episodes of "Turkische fur Anfanger" or "Turkish for Beginners". I got the idea from the German class at my previous school where we watched the first episode. The actors speak very fast (naturally) but one can find videos on Youtube or elsewhere with English subtitles. Overall, it is a light-hearted series about a Turkish father with two children marrying a German mother with two children and the drama that ensues when the two families combine. The main character is very sarcastic and devious, and her exploits make the series worth watching a million times over. In one of the episodes I watched, she took her step-sister, who is a devout follower of Islam, to a disko and causes a great deal of trouble for her family after drinking too much. It's a rewarding series to watch because with each episode, the family seems a bit happier and closer to each other.
As for the German, it is rather hard to understand. I got in the habit of pausing the video whenever I would understand or recognize a bit of German, and try to extrapolate the meaning using the subtitles. I would also pause it when I saw a phrase in English that I thought would be useful to know in German and attempted to take apart the phrase. It was very fun to do, but overall, I would say that I should do this type of thing a lot more often.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.