Sonntag, 12. Februar 2012

AMD 3 Tony

I saw this amazing picture and was going to translate these names of fairy tales back to English. However, after I searched for "Esel Streck Dich", I just couldn't help but spent some time reading it. If I hadn't read it, I probably wouldn't realize that I actually read it before, in Chinese though, and the English version is called The Donkey, the Table and the Stick (someone please confirms it? Danke)

This story is a little bit random, as many fairy tales. A father and his three sons used to have a goat, which they get milk from. The sons were responsible for feeding the goat for milk. However, when one of son asked the goat whether she was full, she said yes. But when it comes to the father, the goat lies that she didn't, so she's not going to give milk. The father thought it was the son that tricked him, so he drove the son away. Same thing happened to the other two sons. Finally, the father found out that the goat lied and drove her away.

The three brothers worked at a carpenter's, a mill and a forest, respectively. At the end of their 2 years work, they received from their employees a magic table, a magic donkey and a magic bag with stick in it. Two of the brothers rested in the Gasthaus [inn], and showed off their magic items to the Wirt [inn keeper]. The table will conjure food and drink, while the donkey gold. The Wirt stole their treasure while they were asleep, so they returned home with the false items. The third brother, however, wasn't asleep when the innkeeper attempted to steal. He ordered the stick from the bag to attack the thief, until the innkeeper promised to give him the magic table and donkey.

Needless to say, the father and the two brothers were happy to see the other brother home, even more happier to see their lost items. They lived thereafter happily together.

Well, the random part was the trigger that drove the brothers away, it could be anything, but here, a tricky goat.

(I wrote to retell the story, partly because I want to practice my English.)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.