So for this AMD I decided to watch Downfall. Landon was just so nice in asking all of us to watch a German movie that I decided that I would spend the three hours and actually do what Landon wants for once.
On to the movie now. The movie won a lot of the cool awards for this that and the other and best foreign language movie and stuff like that. So were not joking around about this thing. Also were not joking around about it because it is about the Nazis. Well the downfall of them at least. I found this movie interesting because there was not the typical American war movie set up. It is not like we followed a small group of soldiers that overcome incredible odds to not die and end up saving the day. This is definitely not an underdog story. Any American war movie about the Nazi I feel would be more about someone trying to take down Hitler, but this movie was from the Hitler perspective. It was interesting to see how the directors handled such a touchy subject. I definitely feel like the movie was well done though. There was an extreme lack of war in this movie. The only war scenes that came up were when the battle actually came to Berlin. The Holocaust happened before the movie's start, which I found weird. Obviously everyone watching the movie knows who the Nazis are, but it was kind of uncomfortable watching a movie in which every character was a Jew hating Nazi. I did find it interesting though how many of Hitler's direct followers were doubting him on a regular basis. This was an interesting insight into Hitler’s side of the war and how strange his thinking actually was. Obviously no German movie is going glorify him, and most are not going to be able to avoid bias against him, but I did find it interesting the way he was portrayed. His followers obviously believed in him but some saw his views of Jews as wrong. Thinking that he just got one thing wrong, but that could be overlooked.
Overall the movie was a really good movie. Like I said, different from American movies in that there was no type of underdog story or anything like that. I wonder if not Nazi movies in Germany tend to have more of an American set up or not.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.