After browsing Facebook for awhile after doing some homework I encountered some poetry. Remembering that I had to do an AMD blog post for German, I figured I should attempt to read some German Poetry. For this post I read some poetry by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Recognizing the name, I looked up who he was on Wikipedia and learned that Goethe was a 18th-19th century German who is considered one of the greats of German literature, but also studied in an amazing array of different fields outside of literature. The poem I read was called Erlkönig written in 1782 and the title means it it is a type of spirit that haunts children. Reading the poem was actually quite easier, than even the Samstag book and must be because poetry generally doesn't use huge vocabularly. Some words I learned looking up as I read were reitet (to ride), and grausets (shudder). Other than that, the poem was pretty self explanatory. The poem was pretty creepy and describes a demon-ghost like thing tempting a boy out of his fathers had and then killing him, when the boy returns to his father. I'm not too sure if I would've picked this exact poem on my own if I knew what it was about before hand, but nonetheless it was actually a fun experience reading some poetry due to the easier vocabulary then news or stories, so I may read some more poetry in German. Hopefully, they have a happier subject matter than this poem.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.